< Back

How to Get a Live IRS Representative on the Phone

IRS building sign

How to Get a Real, Live IRS Representative on the Phone

It’s that time of year again, where we start to gather our financial forms and receipts and begin working on our tax returns. But what do you do if you have a question about filing your income taxes? For example, what if you need help changing your address, amending a previous tax return, or accessing a copy of your stimulus checks? While the IRS does answer many frequently asked questions on its website, sometimes, an issue can be more complicated than the sample questions. Or, perhaps you just feel more comfortable speaking directly with a live IRS representative.

If you have a question for the IRS, here are directions to get a real, live IRS representative on the phone:

  1. Call the main IRS phone number, which is 1-800-829-1040.
  2. The automated system will ask you to select your language preference.
  3. Once you’ve selected your language, press option 2 for “Personal Income Taxes.” (Do not select option 1 for refund information, option 7 for stimulus payment information, or option 8 for child tax credit information).
  4. Next, select option 1 for questions about “Submitted Forms, Tax Transcripts, or Payments.”
  5. Next, select option 3 for all other questions about “Tax History or Payments.”
  6. Next, select option 2 for all other questions about “Tax History or Payments.
  7. The automated system should transfer you to a live IRS representative agent. You’ll be asked to hold the line and made aware that the phone call may be monitored.

Please note that these options may change, so be sure to listen carefully to the automated message and menu items.

If you have other financial questions related to Bankruptcy or Mortgage Loan Modifications, Burrow & Associates would be happy to help. You can contact our team of experienced attorneys at (678) 323-2394 or via our contact page. We have six law offices conveniently located in Athens, Conyers, Duluth, Gainesville, Kennesaw, and Morrow.

  • Request a FREE Consultation

    Fill out the form below to receive a free and confidential initial consultation.